For all you faithful readers of Elder George's blog, here is the story he shared in his homecoming talk. He had teased about it in his last email on the mission, so I asked him to let me share this experience with all you who love him but were not able to hear him speak. Thanks for reading!
When I first started my
mission, I honestly did not find it easy to fulfill my purpose as a
missionary, which was to help other people to come unto Christ by
helping them to receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus
Christ and his atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the
Holy Ghost and enduring to the end. I felt that I just couldn't do it
because of the language barrier and other things. Just a couple of
months into my mission, I had my first interview with my mission
president. He told me, "Elder George. You are here serving a mission.
But you're really not HERE". Those word penetrated to my very soul. I
felt kind of useless and hopeless in that moment but then my mission
president gave me some advice and a scripture that I treasure to this
day. It's in Moses 6:32-34. That scripture really gave me strength to
carry on and be the best missionary I could. From the very second that I
stepped out of that interview I had a new sense of direction and
meaning for the mission. I knew what I had to do and I was going to do
it. I began to change and to lose myself completely in the work. I
followed the presidents counsels with exactness and I achieved a lot of
success in the mission. As I approached the end of my mission, I had my
last interview with my mission president. But before we had a zone
conference. And in the conference, president asked us all, "Who is your
greatest and strongest convert in the mission?" Everyone went kind of
silent and then president looked at me and asked me directly the same
question. I replied firmly that I was my greatest convert. Then he told
me to stand up in front of everyone. He told everyone that I had
changed tremendously and that he didn't even recognize me. He said I
even did my hair differently. He asked me to share in front of everyone
what was it that brought this change of heart. So I shared the story of
that first interview that I had with President and how I strived to be
obedient to his counsels.
I told them that I had truly become converted
to the gospel of Jesus Christ and that is what made me the missionary I
was and the person I was in that moment.

No comments:
Post a Comment