Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Villahermosa: Week 45 "I cannot think of a word to describe this week...‏"

22 de septembre, 2014

There are actually many words that I could use to describe this week. Let me just explain the ups and downs.

Monday through Friday were some of the best days of my mission. Preparing Alfonso and Maria to be baptized was so special. They got married on Thursday and I had the opportunity to be a witness to their wedding. It was cool. I signed some Mexican documents. I got to go to a wedding even though it was not my sister's. God blessed me with that great experience. Also that day, the District Leader came by and did the interview. It went very well. They were ready for Saturday.
 
Friday was also a super great day. We found three new families. We also visited Alfonso and Maria but Alfonso had gone and Maria said he had gotten a call from work and had to go in but that everything would be fine for the baptism. So we made the final plans for the baptism. In the morning, we got up early and headed to the church to get the font ready and clean up the church a little bit. We also got to the church a little earlier that night to set up chairs and to greet people as they came. The other missionaries were also baptizing that day and we share the church with their ward so we were going to have the service together. It was going to start at 6. Well when 5:45 rolled around and Maria and Alfonso had not shown up, we started to worry a little bit. So we called and called and called. Nothing. 6:05 and still nothing. Then we got a call from Maria. She was bawling. We could not understand what she was saying. We only understood that they were not coming. I was already dressed in my baptismal clothes because they asked me to baptize them. And the members of the ward were waiting. We were just so shocked. We did not know what to do. Then a sister in the ward came up and asked us if everything was okay. We said what had happened and she said LET'S GO! So we went. The other elders started without us and we went. The sister is the best sister ever. Returned missionary. She reminds me of Mom in so many ways. So we got to their house and found Maria with the kids. As soon as she saw us she just started bawling. It took her a while to calm down. Then she told us what happened:
 
The night before after we had left, Alfonso came home. He was drunk. He had fallen into temptation. Maria started to yell at him because they had come all this way and had gone through so much. He hit her in the face and then left. He had not returned since. When I heard that I just started to cry. We said a prayer and said we would come back the next day to see her and to see if Alfonso had returned.
 
I admit, I was so confused. How could God have permitted something like this? A lot of thoughts came through my head. Bad thoughts.
 
The next day, we went to their house. Alfonso was there with Maria. There was something different about him. About the house. It just felt dark. So we begin talking and he explained his story. That he began to doubt. That's when he started to drink and lost control. He asked us how could something so bad have happened if what we taught was really good? He asked us a lot of things. It just shocked us because he was so firm and stable. 
 
We sat there in silence for a couple of seconds when I was prompted to share a scripture in Mosiah 4:9. I love that scripture. Especially the last part. It gives me comfort that God knows why these things happen. And sometimes we do not. We also shared that Satan also has power here on earth. He is stronger than we think. He tears families apart. We told them how to know if something comes from him or from God. I then shared my testimony and invited them to pray again to know the truth because He cannot lie and will not ever lie. He declares the truth through His Comforter. Then I shared some of my feelings that I had. We were all in tears. We are going to return tomorrow to see what happens. If everything goes well, Maria can be baptized this Saturday and Alfonso in a month.
 
I have learned a lot this week. Too much at one time it seems like. I have learned that Satan is real. He exists just as much as we exist. The amount of hate he has towards us for following Gods plan is extreme. I have seen him work through many different things and even people. I have also learned something even more important. That God knows why these things happen. He understands these things perfectly. We do not. Sometimes we have no clue and we accuse God for the bad things that happen in our lives. But we should gives thanks because these things happen for a reason. Why didn't Maria and Alfonso get baptized Saturday? I have no idea. But God knows and that is what is important. Maybe he will help me understand. That would be great. 
 
Well that was my crazy week. I will keep you all updated. I love you all so much. Congratulations to Jessica and Allen. Allen, you chose well. My sister is amazing. And if she chose you, you must be just as awesome. Can't wait to meet you. Welcome to the family:) Thank you for waiting and doing it right. God will bless you for that.
 
Love you all. Have a great week. 
 
Elder George
 
Signing the documents.

Maria and Alfonso's wedding day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment